It’s the start of summer and everyone I know is starting to plan their vacations. Every place has one theme in common…the beach! Whether you are looking for a family getaway, a weekend away with the girls or a weekend away with your significant other, there is one place you all need to start looking at…Northern Michigan!
Northern Michigan has so much to offer! The picture above is from the Sleeping Bear Dunes Scenic Drive (lookout #9). I had been to Sleeping Bear Dunes when I was a child, but recently went back there and I had forgotten how beautiful it was there! There were so many people walking around and taking pictures, but the people I were totally jealous of, were the people that were laying on the sand, looking up at the beautiful blue skies, while listening to the waves. Can’t beat that!
Why You Should Visit Michigan
- Lake Michigan…with it’s tides and waves, it is just like visiting the ocean without saltwater, jelly fish or sharks!
- The vineyards…Northern Michigan has beautiful vineyards with some of the best wine I’ve ever tasted!
- Mackinac Island…besides having the best fudge I’ve ever tasted, it’s a relaxing and slow paced with just your feet, bikes or horses to get around!
- Experience all 4 seasons…you can sit by the beach in the summer, admire the changing leaves, visit the Tulip Festival or there is plenty of skiing, ice skating and other winter sports.
- Apple Picking…you can pick apples in many places, but the nice thing about Michigan orchards is that you can usually pick 4-5 varieties of apples at the SAME orchard!
- The Breweries…Michigan has some amazing craft beers and local breweries.
- The Sand Dunes…these amazing mountains of sand is something every child (or child at heart) should get a chance to run up and roll down!
- The food…Northern Michigan has some of the BEST restaurants I have ever been to and they use a lot of local grown and raised products!
- Recreational activities…whether you enjoy biking, skiing, fishing, boating…Michigan has what you are looking for and more!
- Meijer…I know it’s weird that I added a grocery store on here, but for whatever reason, everyone LOVES Meijer. You can get clothes and shoes needed for a boating trip, food for lunch, sunscreen AND the worms, all at one store!
**I had the pleasure of visiting Northern Michigan as part of a press trip. My airfare, hotel and activities were provide. All stories and opinions are 100% my own.
Stay tuned for my series of posts on three of my favorite places to visit in Michigan. I will be highlighting some well known places and some not so well known places (but should be!).