It was brought up to me, by my allergist, to follow a gluten free diet back in July. He told me that if I felt better eliminating gluten, I would most likely know immediately, especially if I tried to add it back in. I didn’t even need to add it back in to know I needed to 100% eliminate it for good. I felt that great without it! So over the last 6 months, I have been making a lot of different gluten free recipes. One of our favorites is the Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe that I have adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring.
Gluten Free Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups Namaste Gluten Free Flour
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 8 TBS Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Sour Cream
- 3 small/medium sized Banana’s, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. I like to use Crisco. I also have found that a glass loaf pan cooks better than my metal loaf pan, but you can use either.
- Place the gluten free flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a bowl. Mix it well with a spoon.
- Next add the butter, eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Add these things one at a time and thoroughly mix between each.
- Using a smaller bowl, mash your bananas. Add the bananas to your batter and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Let it settle for a few minutes before placing it into your preheated oven. Bake for 55 minutes. When there is about 10-12 minutes left, check to make sure the banana bread isn’t browning too fast. If it is, simply tent a piece of foil over top.
The kids went absolutely crazy for this banana bread. It is absolutely delicious. If chocolate is not your thing, take out the chocolate chips. I’m going to make this again, but use a little bit of peanut butter instead of the chocolate chips. I’d probably start out with 1/4 cup peanut butter. Shoot…I may even sprinkle chocolate chips on top! If you are looking for a little less banana-y flavor, just use 2 banana’s. I just prefer a strong banana taste.
Oh…before I forget…the Namaste Gluten Free Flour is the BEST gluten free flour blend I’ve ever used! I highly recommend giving this blend a try!