It’s always fun to celebrate a milestone birthday. I know we had a huge party when my kids turned one and we will probably do the same on other special birthdays like when they turn 16 and/or 18. This year (February 26th, to be exact!), my husband turned 40! We have had a lot of stuff going on the last few months, so planning a bit surprise party or party of any kind, just wasn’t in the cards, timing wise. However, I still wanted to make this milestone birthday a special one. After a lot of reading online and planning, I came up with a really fun and special birthday for my husband.
*This post may contain affiliate links*
Celebrating a Milestone Birthday Idea
I love quotes. If I could walk around and speak in various quotes for most of the day, I would. I’m not kidding! I’ve always been like this. So when I was planning what I wanted to do, I knew I wanted it to have something to do with quotes about getting older (be sure to check below. I listed all the quotes I used).
Do yourself a favor and pick up this inexpensive quote book on Amazon. You will be able to thumb through it quickly and get whatever quotes you need!
The second thing I wanted to do was figure out a way to make his birthday celebration last the entire day. I didn’t want to just give him some presents, have the kids eat cake and call it a day. This was a special birthday, so I wanted the whole day to be special for him. So instead, I got him enough presents to give him one present every hour we are awake at 40 minutes after each hour. So his first present was at 12:40 am and his last present was at 11:40 pm!
Quotes I Used
Like I said before, I love quotes. Here are the quotes I used and the present I bought to go along with each quote:
- “It’s better to carry a tune than a grudge” ~ Modern Family
- Kid Rock concert tickets
- “At 40 you are not old, you are classic” ~anonymous
- Atari Flashback Classics video game for Xbox One
- “Age is not important, unless you are a cheese” ~Helen Hayes
- “Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well” ~Jack London
- Card game
- “The first 40 years are just practice. Now it starts for real” ~anonymous
- Red Bull Total Zero
- “Don’t take life too seriously, it’s not permanent” ~unknown
- “Happy 11th anniversary of your 29th Birthday (steel anniversary)” ~unknown
- “Life is too short. Smile while you still have teeth” ~unknown
- “At 40, I realize that I was built for comfort, not speed” ~unknown
- “You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime” ~John P. Grier
- Toilet Golf – kids favorite gift!
- “Everyone is the age of their heart” ~Guatemalan Proverb
- Heart Smart Peanuts
- “You are only old when you think you are old” ~anonymous
- Suduko and Logic Puzzle books
- “You are only as old as you feel” ~anonymous
- “You don’t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing” ~Michael Pritchard
- This Is 40 movie
- “40 is when your body gives your brain a list of things it’s not going to do anymore” ~anonymous
- To Do List pads
- “There is no such thing as too late. That’s why they invented death” ~unknown
- “Friendship isn’t a big thing, it’s a million little things” ~anonymous
- 40 Things I Love About Him jar
- “Youthfulness is about how you live, not when you were born” ~Karl Lagerfield
- “At Your age, you are going to need glasses” ~anonymous
- Book about people in their 40’s
Each gift was wrapped in either red paper (what I had) or in a gift bag. I used my Tag Maker to make tags for each gift. One side of the tag had the time he was supposed to open the gift and the other side had the quote. He saved every tag. That made me very happy! The night before his birthday, we lined all the presents up against the couch.
This was so fun to put together! He had fun getting a present every hour. The kids made sure that he opened it right on time and if we happen to be out at one of their many games (lacrosse, soccer and basketball) this weekend, then they made sure he opened what he needed to when we all got back home.
This idea is perfect for any milestone birthday! Use the quotes above or find your own, but the general idea can be geared towards any age. I may do this again for my kids for their big milestone birthday…18! I went ahead and linked a lot of the products I picked up on Amazon for you. A lot of them, like the Yeti cup, for example, are cheaper than what you can get at the store! Plus, I don’t know about you, but I like things to be simple and there is nothing easier than having everything arrive in a box from Amazon!!
Atari Flashback Classics: Volume 2Giant Jumbo Pink Eraser For Big MistakesYETI Rambler Lowball 10 oz Stainless Steel Cup with LidPotty Putter Toilet Time Golf GameThis Is 40100 Best Ways to Stay YoungSeek Publishing 1977 Remember When KardLet (RW1977)Fiskars Tag Maker II Standard/Scallop
*This post may contain affiliate links*