Over the weekend, we were watching some cooking show competition on television and one of the contestants made a dry rub for chicken that sounded absolutely delicious. I knew I wanted to make an oven roasted whole chicken recipe. Of course, I did not write the dry rub down. However, while I was grocery shopping, I picked up a whole chicken and decided to put together as much of the dry rub ingredients that I could remember and then hoped and prayed it turned out OK!
Pro tip…pick up a pack of these inexpensive slow cooker liners on Amazon! Makes your clean up a breeze!
Roasted Whole Chicken Dry Rub Recipe
- 1 1/2 TBS Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 TBS White Sugar
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 TBS Butter, softened
- 5 lb Whole Chicken (or meat of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 375° or use your slow cooker!
- Remove the nasty stuff inside the chicken and rinse it inside and out. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel. Place in a baking dish or on a baking sheet with sides breast side up.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the butter) in a small bowl and mix it together.
- Rub the butter all over the chicken. Be sure to cover the legs and wings well.
- Rub the dry rub all over the chicken and inside the chicken.
- Cover the chicken with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for another 45-50 minutes. * If you are using your slow cooker, be sure to use slow cooker liners and place a few balled up pieces of foil at the bottom, place the chicken on top and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
How Was It?
You guys…this was the best roasted chicken recipe ever! My kids DEVOURED it! The skin was crispy and delicious! This tastes really good if you wanted to use your slow cooker to make the roasted whole chicken. Place balls of foil on the bottom of the slow cooker and then place the chicken on top of the foil. No matter how you choose to make this recipe, it is a very easy roasted chicken recipe!
If you are in the market for a slow cooker, or just want a second one, this slow cooker is currently on sale for a really good price!!
I have made this roasted chicken recipe a bunch of times and it is ALWAYS a favorite in our house! I’ve never had it turn out bad! Definitely put it on your weekly menu. Whole chickens are usually pretty inexpensive, so stocking up on them when they are on sale is a good idea! I think I have four or five in my freezer right now!
Other Chicken Recipes You May Like
Reynolds Metals 00504 Slow Cooker Liners 13Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S 6-Quart Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker, Digital Timer, Stainless SteelSlow Cooker Revolution8 in 1 Kitchen Tool, Multipurpose Kitchen Gadgets Bin Bottle – Funnel, Juicer Lemon squeezer, Spice grater, Egg masher, Cheese grater, Egg seperator, Measuring cup, Can openerTalisman Designs Butter Boy, Green
*Baking time depends on the weight of your chicken. A good rule of thumb is 20 minutes per pound.