I will admit, I am NOT a fan of corned beef and cabbage. I can’t stand the smell of it or the taste of it. BUT…my husband and our friend love it so I’ve been making it for them on or around St. Patty’s day for the past couple years. This year I tried a few different things with my recipe and they told me it turned out AMAZING!
Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker Recipe
- 3.5lb Corned Beef brisket
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Medium Onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 Large Potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 can of Guinness Beer
- 1 small head of Cabbage, cut into chunks
- Peel and cut up the carrots and onions and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove the brisket from the packaging and rinse under cold water and place in the the slow cooker, fat side up.
- Sprinkle the seasoning packet over top of the brisket. My package came with two packets…I used both.
- Pour the beef broth and the Guinness over top of the brisket.
- Add the potatoes to the slow cooker around the brisket.
- Set your slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- 2 hours before the brisket is done, add the chunks of cabbage.
Normally I use water instead of beef broth, but I thought it might get a little more flavor so I tried the beef broth…it was GREAT! I left to go grocery shopping while they ate and I got a text message when they were finished eating to tell me how “excellent” it was! So definitely try it out…especially right now when corned beef briskets are on sale all over!
Happy St. Patty’s Day!!