Now that it’s winter, soup is something I can’t get enough of (though I’m weird and like to eat soup in the summer). Nothing beats homemade soup. One soup I really like (besides chicken noodle…everyone likes chicken noodle) is cabbage soup. Now before you turn your nose up, have you ever had it? Years ago I did the cabbage soup diet and I just couldn’t make it…I was starving. I read somewhere that you burn more calories digesting the soup that there actually is in the soup. So I came up with my own concoction of a cabbage soup that is a little more filling.
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
Beefy Cabbage Soup
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut into pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, browned
- 1 small onion, cut into pieces
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 28oz can and 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes (I chose the one with garlic and it was gluten free)
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cut into pieces
- 6 cups of organic, low sodium and gluten free beef broth
- Dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Fresh minced garlic, to taste
Tip…pick up these freezer containers. They are AMAZING! You can put them in the freezer, microwave and dishwasher. Perfect for freezing soups and sauces!
- Brown the ground beef, drain and put into an 8 quart stock pot.
- Chop all of the vegetables and put them inside the pot.
- Pour the beef broth over top and mix up.
- Season to taste and mix again.
- Cover the pot and turn the stove on to medium-high. Cook until soup comes to a boil. Once the soup boils slightly, turn the stove to low (I have a simmer select option that I used) and simmer for a couple hours (until the vegetables are tender).
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can customize this soup to exactly how you want it. You can use any vegetables you like; beef broth, chicken broth or even V8 Juice; and you can season it any way you like. I’ve been known to use oregano and it completely changes the taste of this soup (though I like the seasonings I used above the best).
I hope you enjoy this soup. It freezes well. I like to make big batches and keep some in the fridge and freeze some for later to enjoy! Be sure to pick up the freezer containers that are on sale on Amazon right now! Link is up above!