Fall is right around the corner! While I love summer and the warm weather, fall is my season. I like wearing jeans and hooded sweatshirts. I like seeing the leaves change color, but most importantly, I like all the yummy fall inspired food. Especially caramel apples!
Spiced Caramel Apple Dipped in White Chocolate
- 8 Large Pink Lady Apples
- 1 C Stick Margarine
- 2 C Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 C Light Corn Syrup
- 1 (4 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag of Ghirardelli Chocolate Wafers
- All-Spice, to taste
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Shove a wooden stick into each apple. Tip: to remove the wax coating from store purchased apples, dip them in boiling water mixed with a splash of vinegar for a few seconds. Remove and dry. Allow to fully cool.
- Using a double boiler, pour water into the bottom half, just slightly lower than when the top pot sits in the bottom half. Bring water to a boil.
- Using the double boiler, put the margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk into the top pot, bringing the heat to a med-high. Stir constantly until it’s boiling and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees. Tip: if you don’t have a candy thermometer, drop a teaspoon of caramel into a glass of cold water. If it forms a ball, it’s done!
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into the caramel. Be sure to coat the apple and part of the wooden stick.
- Allow the apples to completely dry on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- While the apples are drying, pour the bag of white chocolate wafers into a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes. If the wafers are not completely melted, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Take the caramel apple and dip it into the white chocolate going up ONLY 3/4 of the way.
- Quickly sprinkle all-spice and cinnamon on the white chocolate and allow to cool completely.
Don’t they look good?!? Be sure to wrap some up for your kids teacher. I’m sure they would really appreciate it!!