Learning new ways to save money is one of my top priorities. Since I don’t work outside the home, I feel that one of my “jobs” is to save my family the most money each month. I do this by shopping around for things the kids needs, taking a drive to the outlets to purchase their cleats for sports, or using coupons when I grocery shop. However, one thing I never really considered, on my quest to save money, was how I could save money on my home energy costs. With the Homeselfe app, it’s very quick and easy to see what areas of our home need a little work and just how much money we could save by doing that work!
Nowadays, with everything being online, everyone is looking for ways on how to save money online. Let’s face it, most people have a smartphone or an iPad and those devices are with us most of the day. I can’t tell you now many times I search things on my iPhone or iPad while I wait for the kids to get done with practice or school. The nice thing about the Homeselfe app is that in less than 10 minutes, you have a complete report on the energy efficiency of your home and easy ways to save money by fixing the areas you didn’t score as high in. For example, I took a Homeselfe of my house and here are my results:
Overall, the energy efficiency of my home is good. However, the report breaks each area of the home down and tells me the rating for that area AND what I can do to improve that rating. One area that we rated average in was attic insulation. By upgrading that area of our home, we could reduce our energy bills by up to 20%!
My Top 10 Ways to Save Money
According to my Homeselfe report, the top 10 ways I can save money on my home are as follows:
- Air Sealing – by adding or replacing the weather stripping around my doors, I can save 10% or more!
- Attic Insulation – this is the quickest and easiest upgrade a homeowner can do. It can also save you up to 20% on your energy bills!
- Duct Insulation – make sure the heated and cooled air is not leaking from the ducts. It’s estimated that a home loses between 20-40% of air that moves through the duct system.
- Lighting – you want to look for ENERGY STAR® certified bulbs because they use 85% less energy!
- Heating/Cooling – it’s recommended that you don’t wait until your systems fail. You can save up to 20% on your heating and cooling costs by replacing your old HVAC equipment.
- Appliances – like your light bulbs, you want to look for ENERGY STAR® certified appliances. On average they use 50% less energy.
- Water Heater – replacing your old water heater with an ENERGY STAR® qualified heat pump water heater could possibly cut your water heating in half!
- Refrigerator – like the water heater, using an ENERGY STAR® certified refrigerator can maximize your energy and dollar savings.
- Doors and Windows – replacing your doors and windows with ENERGY STAR® qualified doors and windows can help you save 15% on your energy bills.
- Wall Insulation – having wall insulation can reduce your heating and cooling by up to 30%
With the Homeselfe app you can find out those how to save money tips you’ve been looking for, as well as the rebates available for you when you take advantage of some of the different energy saving categories!
So please…download the Homeselfe app and take your own Homeselfe! Feel free to leave a comment with your results! I’d love to hear them!
*This is a partnered post