When my husband and I got our first house, it was a small, barely 1000 square foot, bungalow. It was super cute. One of the things I loved most about it was the telephone cubby in the hallway. I always wanted to put an old fashion looking phone there! After we had our son, and all the “stuff” that comes with having a baby, we quickly out grew that house. Now that we are a family of four, in a bigger house, there are times when it feels like we’ve outgrown this house too. In reality, all we need is some organizing tips to maximize the space we have.
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
As you can imagine, when I was asked if I would like to receive a copy of the book, Organize Your Way: Simple Strategies for Every Personality, it was a no brainer. I had to check it out! You know how we are always taking those tests on Facebook to tell us about our personality, what animal we are most like, etc? Well in this book, there is a quiz that you take to determine which tips and strategies work best for you. I have to admit, I was a bit excited to take the quiz and find out my “PixieType”.Friends share organizing tips with friends. Share this post now!Click To Tweet
About Organize Your Way
Organize Your Way is written by professional organizers behind PixiesDidIt®, Katie and Kelly McMenamin. In this book, you find out your personality type (PixieType) and then use real-life methods and systems that match that personality! After taking the quiz, I found out that I am the Classic Structure PixieType, which is totally me. Basically I like to declutter, I pile things (all the time), and I prefer to have written out to-do lists. Totally me!
Pick up your copy now!
Once you know your PixieType, the book is then broken down to the various sections of your home and Katie and Kelly McMenamin give you organizing tips for that section of your home, based on your PixieType. There are various places in my home (read – my whole home) that need desperate help in the organization department, so I cannot wait to read up on my PixieType and declutter accordingly!
Top Ten Pixie Organizing Tips
*From Katie and Kelly McMenamin
- Knowing who you are is key to organization mainly because if you’re pretending to be someone else, it’s hard to remember where that pretend person put something!
- Change is hard, so be honest about organizing tasks. People who never hang up their coats in a closet, probably never will; get a coat rack and call it a day.
- Perfect isn’t real. Magazine perfection is styled by a professional whose job it is to make everything perfection for the millisecond it takes to snap a photo.
- No shame, no blame! You liking clear, spotless surfaces doesn’t make you OCD (it’s not a personality disorder), it’s your personality type.
- Later Box It. When you can’t part with a useless item, store it away in a box and revisit that box in a few months (a year), whatever you missed keep, whatever you forgot…dude, let it go.
- If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Change is hard (see #2) so if storing TP right next to the toilet works for you, do it, but for heavens sake try to make it look nice–unless you live alone on Antarctica then who cares.
- Organizing at its core is about retrieval. Period. Can you easily find and get things when you need them? Everything else is an argument about aesthetics.
- One-step solutions are golden. Hanging up your coat is a five-step process whereas popping it on a hook is one-step. Light bulb (at least it was for us)!
- Be loud & proud. So, you write important To Do’s on your hand in a pinch. Who cares? Don’t apologize, defend it and tell any scolds where they can go.
- There’s no best way to organize–just the best one for you.
What are your best organizing tips to add to the list?
Organize Your Way: Simple Strategies for Every PersonalitySodynee Foldable Cloth Storage Cube Basket Bins Organizer Containers Drawers, 6 Pack, GreyClosetMaid 31493 Fabric Storage Bin, LargeAkro-Mils 66486 CLDBL 12-Gallon Plastic Storage KeepBox with Attached Lid, 21-1/2-Inch by 15-Inch by 12-1/2-Inch, Semi Clear