Choosing the right flowers for a loved one can be a fine art, and this is no different when it comes to Mother’s Day. If you’re determined to select the most suitable blooms for your mother to admire come March 10th, read our guide to matching seasonal flowers to your mum’s personality…
If your mum is the traditional or romantic type, you’ll want to stay away from anything too adventurous and stick to the classics, such as:
- Roses – the ultimate bouquet, with pink, red or white being the ideal colours
- Carnations – a good all-round choice that you can buy in either a single colour or a mix of complementary shades
- Chrysanthemums – a classic variety for Mother’s Day available in soft shades that’s also very long-lasting
A mixed bouquet is a good option, especially if it’s finished off with some delicate sprays of smaller flowers to create a lovely look. Traditional mothers will already have suitable vases (as they’re more likely to regularly buy flowers for the home), so consider what your mum has to put her bouquet in before buying.
Does your mum love to paint, write, invent new dishes or regularly redecorate? Then she’s likely to be creative type and favour colourful and/or unusual flowers. Just a few ideas include:
- Sunflowers – bright and bold, these can’t fail to cheer up your mum
- Gerberas – these come in a variety of vibrant colours and are fab in mixed bouquets that liven up the room
Think about how you can present your flowers in creative ways too. You could decorate any boxes that they come in with photos of you and your mum, or liven up any accompanying vase with colourful ribbons.
If your mum loves to travel and try new things, she’ll be pleased with any flowers that deviate from the norm for Mother’s Day. Some ideas are:
- Lilies – oriental and coloured lilies are perfect for a bouquet with a difference
- Orchids – exotic and elegant, they’re ideal for adventurous mums, especially when their tropical leaves are left on the stems
You could team your flowers with some unusual gifts, too, such as an adoption certificate for a tiger or seal, or the chance to name an orchid!
Does your mum favour all things elegant and sophisticated? If so, the bouquet you choose will likely be luxurious yet understated to match her personality. You could go for:
- White Lilies – a classic option that’s sure to be much-admired
- Mixed Orchids – decadent and exotic
- White Victorian Roses – beautiful yet understated
Alternatively, consider presenting your mum with a single, perfect rose or orchid. This might be a good choice if her home is minimalist in style and a large bouquet would look out of place.
Hopefully, our guide should have given you some inspiration for buying the ideal flowers for your mum’s personality. You might also want to bear the following in mind…
- Be prepared and book delivery well in advance if you’re not going to give your mother her flowers yourself. If you do end up organizing things at the last minute, click here to buy flowers with next day delivery.
- Don’t forget extras like a card, chocolates and perhaps a nice bottle of wine!
- Team up with your siblings and splash out on a huge bouquet if you can – your mum will really appreciate the gesture.
**This is a partnered post brought to you by Dipika Patel, a British blogger who loves buying presents for others – a writing about them! She regularly contributes to blogs with her thoughts on flowers , gifts and interiors with a view to helping readers make the right choices.