Memorial day is coming up quick, which means the official BBQ season will be in full swing. BBQ’s are one of my absolute favorite part about summer. Typically the foods are all the same, but there is nothing like a burnt hot dog or a big cheeseburger with bread and butter pickles. While watermelon or strawberry shortcakes (what we usually have at BBQ’s for dessert) are great for dessert, surprise your guests with these delicious key lime bars! Like lemon bars, the tartness of the lime will be the perfect end to your BBQ meal!
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
Key Lime Bars Recipe
- 2 C Flour (or this gluten free)
- 1/2 C Powder Sugar
- 1 C Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 2 C Sugar
- 2 tsp Key Lime Zest
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 C Lime Juice
- 1/4 C Flour (or this gluten free)
- Preheat your oven to 350° and spray your 9×11 baking dish with your favorite non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the 2 C of flour, powder sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the butter until the crust mixture looks like crumbs.
- Pour the crust into the pan and pat evenly into the dish.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes. While the crust is baking, begin making the filling.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, lime juice, 1/4 C flour, sugar, key lime zest and baking powder. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture onto the crust and return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until set.
- Once the bars are cooled, sprinkle with powder sugar and cut into squares. Top with a key lime slice and enjoy!
Don’t they sound delicious?!? Make them and tell me what you think! Be the hit of your next BBQ. Your guests will absolutely love them!