Recently I told you about my quest to give the Paleo diet a chance (you have to try the Honey, Garlic and Rosemary Chicken). My first night on the diet I made the chicken I just mentioned (so good!) and I also made cauliflower rice. I was REALLY nervous. First of all, I really don’t like vegetables that are cooked (unless it’s veggies in stir-fry or carrots). The more I grated the cauliflower, the more I thought I was going to be serving a total dud of a dish. Check out the recipe below and then read what I really thought about it!
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, grated on the coarse side (or use this stainless steel ricer)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5-6 tsp. of minced garlic (I like the fresh garlic in the jar)
- Pinch of Parsley
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil (you made need a little more, depending on how much cauliflower you have)
Pro Tip…get the ricer. Trust me! It is WAY easier with it and this is a good price with great reviews.
- Place olive oil in the pan on medium heat and fry the garlic and onion together until the onion is soft.
- Add the cauliflower and fry until it is cooked (it be white with a slight browning).
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper and parsley and mix completely and fry for a few minutes until the cauliflower is tender (typically takes about 8 minutes, but ultimately depends on how tender you prefer it to be).
Now…like I said, I was really nervous about this recipe. My husband eyed it and then looked at me like “what is that?”. I told him to keep an open mind (since I was!) and just try it. Which he did and let me tell you, he looked up at me again and this time told me it was delicious. I can’t wait to make this again to try out new flavors! I think I actually like it better than real rice. No really…I do! I’m going to make a stir-fry this weekend and serve it over top of this “faux” rice! Maybe being on this Paleo diet isn’t so hard after all!
Try it and then let me know what you think!!