Since starting the Paleo diet, I have tried and eaten WAY more vegetables than I ever have before. My favorite right now is butternut squash. I first tasted this delicious vegetable at Thanksgiving. My husbands aunt and uncle brought it and it was the BEST thing I ever tasted, but so not Paleo friendly. So shortly after Thanksgiving, I bought a butternut squash to see if I liked it without the brown sugar, butter and Rice Krispies cereal. Good news, I did!
I was in Costco the other day and I saw that they sell butternut squash already cut up into little 1 inch cubes. I had to buy it and do something with it. Initially I was thinking about making mashed butternut squash, but then I decided to roast it. It turned out so good!
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash
- Butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Take a baking sheet with sides and cover with foil (makes cleanup so much easier).
- Place your squash cubes in a large bowl. Spritz with olive oil (I like to use my Misto…it’s seriously the best thing ever! I promise!). Take your salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and sprinkle your desired amount into the bowl and thoroughly mix the butternut sqush, making sure it’s evenly coated with the seasonings.
- Spread the butternut squash cubes onto the baking sheet and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Halfway through, check on the squash and flip them over.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
The squash is naturally a bit sweet, so when you add the spicy cayenne pepper it’s the perfect combination! And the nice thing is, this recipe is 100% Paleo! While the butternut squash recipe I tried at Thanksgiving was delicious, I can’t eat it all the time, for obvious reasons, but this recipe…I could have this every single day and feel absolutely ZERO guilt!
If you are looking for a great main dish meal to go with this side, I served this Balsamic Pork Roast. Soooo good!!