This time of year, everything is peppermint flavored and I love it! I seriously cannot get enough peppermint. One year I bought 8 gallons of peppermint ice cream to store in my freezer because I knew it was a holiday special and I’d have to wait until the following year to get it again! The only thing better than peppermint stuff is peppermint and chocolate together. That’s why these Peppermint Oreo Cupcakes are to die for!
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
Peppermint Oreo Cupcakes
- 1 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Hot Water
- 1/2 C Cocoa Powder
- 6 TBSP Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 C Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Butter, softened
- 2 C Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 TBSP Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1-2 drops Pink Gel Coloring
- Crushed candy cane bark
- Holiday Oreo’s crushed and put into a bowl with crushed candy cane bark
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake tin with cupcake paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk hot water and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using your mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix the egg, vegetable oil, peppermint and vanilla extracts until well combined.
- Add in the flour mixture, alternate with hot cocoa mix, until there are no lumps.
- Using a large ice cream scoop (or these batter spoons I love), scoop batter into the lined cupcake tins until they are 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allowing the cupcakes to cool in the cupcake tin for 10 mins. Then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter and sugar until combined.
- Mix in the heavy cream, gel color and candy canes and mix until blended.
- Spoon into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- Frost the peppermint Oreo cupcakes from the outside, working the tip toward the center of the cupcake.
- Rim the edge of the peppermint Oreo cupcakes with the crushed Oreo’s and candy cane bark mixture.
- Top with an Oreo.
Don’t these sound delicious?!? If you wanted to make these Peppermint Oreo cupcakes gluten free, simply substitute your favorite gluten free flour and buy gluten free sandwich cookies!
A few other peppermint recipes you may enjoy are: