My absolute favorite time of year is quickly approaching…FALL! Living in Michigan, fall is a really beautiful season. With the leaves changing, the crisp and cool air, and the many trips to the cider mill…you really can’t beat it! If you have the opportunity to travel to Northern Michigan during this time of year, then you must! There is truly nothing like it! While I love wearing flip flops, and I will wear them as long as I possibly can, I love wearing jeans and hoodie sweatshirts. Besides the leaves changing, wearing sweatshirts and the apple cider, another thing I love about fall is soup!! My goal this year is to fill the freezer in our basement with soup to last me all fall and winter! One I will be making quite a bit is this Broccoli Cheddar soup in a bread bowl!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup in a Bread Bowl
- 6 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 1 small White Onion, chopped
- 1/4 C Flour
- 2 C Heavy Cream
- 3 C Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 7-inch Sourdough Bread Boules (round loaves)
- 1 bag Frozen Broccoli
- 1 C Matchstick Cut Carrots
- 2 1/2 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Whisk in the flour, cooking until the color becomes golden, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, if necessary, to keep the flour from burning (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into the flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir the chicken stock into the heavy cream mixture. Bring this to a simmer, continuing to cook until the mixture has thickened (about 20 minutes).
- Add carrots; simmer until they are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add the frozen broccoli and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir the cheddar cheese into the vegetable mixture until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle into the top of each loaf, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers, leaving a thick bread shell.
- Scoop some of the broccoli cheddar soup into each bread bowl. Serve as is or top with additional grated cheese.
Looks good, doesn’t it?!? If you have to eat gluten free, like I do, you can make this soup gluten free by simply using your favorite gluten free flour in place of the wheat flour. Personally, I really like this gluten free flour mix. Everything I’ve ever made with it has turned out so good. And that’s a really good price!
If you like this broccoli cheddar soup recipe, then you will definitely like these:
- Chorizo Chicken Soup <—My personal favorite!!
- Chicken Cabbage Soup
- The Best Beefy Cabbage Soup
- Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup